Board index Politics Asia India's treatment of women (graphic image warning)

India's treatment of women (graphic image warning)

Discuss Asian stuff here

Moderators: PoliticalPuppet, BORG

Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

Whatever the case, guys, honour killings and their relation to Islam is a subject worth discussing but not here. There is a separate board for religion-specific topics. Yes, I mentioned Islam and popular perception as an aside, but that's not the topic. I also mentioned Hinduism which might be a little more pertinent.

I do feel passionate about the subject of this thread and I don't want it derailed.

Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

Any religion can and are be used as justification for bad treatment of other humans. The fact is that it is not seen as mainstream anymore in any of them - its an excuse. The vedas and koran and the bible and all the others were all written a long time ago when things were different and we all knew a lot less. They can all be interpreted as honour killings.

The problem is that when religious zealots are using their religion as an excuse - how do you outlaw a practice? Look how hard the xtians fight every time a new law is made against something abominable in their book. The next thing to be outlawed (hopefully) is going to outrage the jews (circumcision and sucking baby dicks).

IMo the problems mainly stem from the cultures that have grown up around the religions that havent "advanced" as fast as ours. There is starting to be some awareness now in some countries that some of the practices are wrong but theres a ways to go. We are not that far "ahead" seriously. It would be nice if we helped them to change without slaughtering them though. Remember the mess when america tried to end slavery - thats the kind of resistance thats faced with these things.

Spot
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
Brendiggg wrote:
Yes, I mentioned Islam and popular perception as an aside, but that's not the topic. I also mentioned Hinduism which might be a little more pertinent.

I do feel passionate about the subject of this thread and I don't want it derailed.

I thought the subject was "honor killings"? I was trying to be "on topic".... :question:

As such, I was just showing proof that certain aspects of Islamic Law DID justify it

Also, I wanted to state I was unable to find anything in Hindu Law that justified it

As such, I tend to lean to towards these events in India being more of a male/female conflict, than a results of Hindu Religion
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

You have Enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life.

DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Spot of Borg wrote:
The next thing to be outlawed (hopefully) is going to outrage the jews (circumcision)

On a side note, I think this is a HORRID concept, and it has nothign to do with religion, and everything to do with stopping diseases, and improving sex for men, but that is off topic.
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

You didnt look very hard DC. First link in google:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1991195,00.html

Spot

Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

DCRocks wrote:
Also, I wanted to state I was unable to find anything in Hindu Law that justified it

As such, I tend to lean to towards these events in India being more of a male/female conflict, than a results of Hindu Religion

Hinduism is pertinent to the topic of violence against women in India by dint of casteism. Although strictly verboten in secular India, caste distinctions still persist. This is one of the causes of violence.

It is only one cause, however. Instances of violence against women have skyrocketed in the past 20 years, and they happen in quite cosmopolitan places.

Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Heck it happens in australia and america (yes DC it happens there). Its not all to do with religion - like i said religion is just used as an excuse.

Spot

DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Spot of Borg wrote:
You didnt look very hard DC. First link in google:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1991195,00.html

Spot

That article did not quote any Hindu laws, that directly justified honor killings, like the Islamic law I quoted Spot.

Did I miss it? :question:

Previous

Return to Asia