Philosophy

Philosophy

Moderators: cato, BORG

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

Cant say im really into philosophy. Its kinda got religious overtones imo.

Spot
Last edited by Spot of Borg on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:10 pm
Hector User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: Are you my Mummy?
Me either. Some of the religious people might be. Sometimes non-religious people who call themselves "spiritual" are into it.

Hector
“Jews should get the hell out of Palestine. They should go home to Poland, Germany, America and everywhere else.”

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:38 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

Religious philosophy is but a small part of overall metaphysics. A practitioner of philosophy can spend a lifetime in his or her field without even touching on matters of religion.

Although, like religion, philosophy isn't scientific, it places a great deal of emphasis on reasoning and enquiry. Unlike matters of blind faith.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:12 pm
magpie User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: it's always summertime
Brendiggg wrote:
Religious philosophy is but a small part of overall metaphysics. A practitioner of philosophy can spend a lifetime in his or her field without even touching on matters of religion.

Although, like religion, philosophy isn't scientific, it places a great deal of emphasis on reasoning and enquiry. Unlike matters of blind faith.

Religion did have its good points though.
It gave us paintings, cathedrals and er ....ummm, I've already said paintings..

Am not a fan of philosophy. If I had a choice between reading philosophy again and rendition, I'd take the latter.
Throw in some serious listening time with the mother-in-law for good measure, just in case I start to weaken when the finger nails start coming out.

John Paul Sartre was the worst, even though he was an existentialist, which is an interesting area of philosophy, he totally managed to anaesthetise half of my Prefrontal Cortex and the Wernicke's Area of the brain.
Eagle Two Regiment

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 am
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Satre did for philosophy what Hitler did for race relations.

By that, I mean he fucked it up.

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:44 am
sanofi User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: for woman, we were taught the earth is flat
Brendiggg wrote:
Satre did for philosophy what Hitler did for race relations.

By that, I mean he fucked it up.

It sounds like it was only his grandmother who liked him. I've never studied him, just read one of those 'Satre for Idiots' type books, and thought, 'Bit weird..'
birds have their own pov

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:03 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Coincidentally, I briefly got sucked in to a Facebook debate about the 'illusion of self' yesterday. It's frustrating the mental wankery people put themselves through when a two-year-old can demonstrate a concrete sense of self.

That said, I am a huge fan of philosophy and I don't think being inquisitive for its own sake is a waste of time. But Satre sucks dicks .

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:21 pm
magpie User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: it's always summertime
Brendiggg wrote:
Coincidentally, I briefly got sucked in to a Facebook debate about the 'illusion of self' yesterday. It's frustrating the mental wankery people put themselves through when a two-year-old can demonstrate a concrete sense of self.

That said, I am a huge fan of philosophy and I don't think being inquisitive for its own sake is a waste of time. But Satre sucks dicks .

do you have an address for that one?
looks like an interesting read..
Eagle Two Regiment

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:30 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

I'm browsing from my phone so I can't do linkies. I'm in the winmx group (Brendan Field) so if you are really interested, you can friend me and find the thread.

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 am
Bad Robot User avatar
Lurker
Lurker

Slogan: when I'm bad..
I thought Kant was good.
He aimed to resolve disputes between empirical and rationalist approaches. The former, as you would know, asserted that all knowledge comes through experience. Rationalism (of which the study of Logic is essential) maintained that reason and innate ideas were the basic building blocks. Kant argued that experience is purely subjective without first being processed by pure reason. He also said that using reason without applying it to experience only leads to theoretical illusions.
For me a good Saturday night was reading Kant with Wagner's music in the background at a volume where, at times, the two activities would meld.

Return to Philosophy