Board index Member Boards Science Fiction 10 Scifi Books You Pretend you Read

10 Scifi Books You Pretend you Read

Science fiction - including Star Trek

Moderators: Whispy, BORG

Which is the Best Science Fiction book of all TIme?

Stranger in a Strange Land
No votes
I Robot
No votes
Hitchihikers Guide to the Galaxy
20%
Space Odyssey
No votes
Dune
20%
The Time Machine
No votes
Foundation Series
20%
Ringworld (Series)
20%
War of the Worlds
20%
The Puppet Masters
No votes

Total votes : 5

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:20 am
Chard User avatar
The Emperor's Champion
The Emperor's Champion

1) Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson - Read it, still own a copy. Excellent book if you like cryptography complete with a how-to on the Solitaire Cypher.

2) Dune by Frank Herbert - Read it and the rest of the series Frank wrote. The boos his son co-wrote with that hack Kevin Anderson should be avoided like the plague.

3) Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon - This one was a fun read. Then again, anything by Pynchon is a fun read.

4) Foundation by Isaac Asimov - Great story by one of the best SF writers ever.

5) Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - Ain't read it, but I'll download the epub and tell you what I think.

6) 1984 by George Orwell - Read this several times thanks to honors lit in high school and lit courses in college. Trust in Big Brother, Proles.

7) First and Last Men and Starmaker by Olaf Stapledon - Haven't read it. Yet...

8) The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett - Haven't read it. Yet...

9) Dhalgren by Samuel Delany - Good read.

10) Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace - Fun read.

Stranger in a Strange Land? Read it, own it.

No Childhood's End? Read it.

No The Left Hand of Darkness? Read it, good book.

No Frankenstein? Read it, bored the hell out of me.

No I Robot? Come on, it's Asimov. If you ain't read this then you're just an Sci-Fi tourist.

No Fahrenheit 451? Great read, but I'm a totally sucker for Bradbury's works.

No Tolkein in any form? The Hobbit was one of the first novels I ever read. The Lord of the Rings was boring as hell and I was forced to read the The Silmarillion in uni and fucking hated it. I'll go on record say that Tolkein was a hack. He has no sense of pacing, character development, plot structuring and he had a real bad habit of telling instead of showing. Great world builder, terrible storyteller.

No Animal farm? Dude, it's Orwell... This was required reading in high school English.

No Brave New World? Good read.

No Jules Verne? Really? There's people that haven't slogged through Verne? Wow...
"Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean!" - Black Templars War Cry

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:42 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

Heh there was only 10 spaces in the poll creation. We already discussed that tolkein isnt really scifi. Cryptonomicon was pretty good. It took me a while to adjust to the jargon but once i did the story was good. My brother gave me that book for my birthday a few years ago. Not sure I
would have bought it myself if I saw it in a shop because I would have read a bit of it in the shop and not understood the jargon and put it back on the shelf.

Spot
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:23 am
Rampager Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: MISSION ACOMPLISHED 21-05-2014 (signed and sealed)
Here's another one you can add Spot:

Pentagon says Navy Seal's Bin Laden book reveals military secrets
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/04/pentagon-navy-seal-book-classified

LOL :LOL: :LOL:

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:05 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
I voted for the foundation series (note: I Robot is actually part of that series)

That said, it is NOT my fav Sci Fi, that is the Uplift Series by David Brin. The last book in that series is probably the best Sci Fi book I have EVER read, which is saying something, given I probably go through 300-400 books a year (Akkkk.. I have reached the point where if its not over 500 pages or a series, its hardly worth picking up)

IMO, it is far and away the best Sci Fi series I have ever read, and blows away, at least IMO, any other book/series on that list in the poll.

note: I feel HHGTTG should be more under comedy than Sci Fi, which is why I voted for Foundation over Hitchhikers, even though I liked Hitchhikers more
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

You have Enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life.

Previous

Return to Science Fiction