17%
Yes and it will cause WW3
17%

Total votes : 6

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am
Chard User avatar
The Emperor's Champion
The Emperor's Champion

Well, at least we know that while DC is a disgusting, morally reprehensible hypocrite at least he's consistent about it...
"Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean!" - Black Templars War Cry

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:56 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
Chard wrote:
Well, at least we know that while DC is a disgusting, morally reprehensible hypocrite at least he's consistent about it...

Ha! :cheers:
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

You have Enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Heh, looks like Russia has finally drawn a line in the sand for Syria...

Moscow warns Syria not to use chemical weapons

Moscow has told Damascus that it is unacceptable to threaten to use chemical weapons.

This is stated in a Russian Foreign Ministry news release published after a meeting between the Russian President’s special envoy to the Middle East Mikhail Bogdanov and Syrian ambassador Riyad Haddad in Moscow.

The diplomats discussed the situation in and around Syria. Bogdanov clearly demanded that Syria strictly honour the Geneva Protocol banning chemical weapons.

He emphasized Russia’s approach towards a peaceful settlement to the Syrian crisis would remain unchanged. It is based on the fulfillment of Kofi Annan’s plan and decisions by the Action Group for Syria by all the sides involved in the conflict.
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: "They may kill you but they won't eat you"
DCRocks: Heh, looks like Russia has finally drawn a line in the sand for Syria.

Well, Russia is just toeing the line of all those way-cool treaties they have with US, If they look lukewarm on the subject it carries the potential of being a justification to reopening an arms race that no one wants.

Russia is never going not back the current regime, Syria provides them with their only southern port and is a vital refueling depot and naval installation and has been since I was a kid barely in high school . There is no guarantee they will have a similar arrangement with the new guys and being ever the pragmatist they are quite content with the bird in the hand. Their only other alternative would be to take a trip past NATO member Turkey which places them at a tactical disadvantage during a possible conflict with NATO and even barring that is a 5 star pain in the ass.

Syria could roast children on sharpened sticks and eat them and the rooskies are going to look the other way.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Jim wrote:
Syria could roast children on sharpened sticks and eat them and the rooskies are going to look the other way.

I guess I just dont agree. I feel that the price of Russia backing an Assad Govt that used chemical weapons on the citizens of Syria would be far to high, as Russia would have to know the rest of the world would not let that stand.

At some point, the cost would outweigh the gains, and I think that supporting a govt that used chemical weapons on a civilian population would reach that point.

As the US has been mostly sitting out, I could see Russia get a wink and a nod from the US, as to letting Russia be the power that helps setup the new powers in Syria, by the US standing aside, much the way Russia stood aside in Iraq, with the price being Assad must go.

Russia gets what it wants, a base in the region, the US gets what it wants, rid of an Assad regime that backs Islamic extremists, and the world gets what it wants, and end to the slaughter. Not sure how that would work out for the population of Syria though.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:40 pm
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

DCRocks wrote:
Jim wrote:

I guess I just dont agree. I feel that the price of Russia backing an Assad Govt that used chemical weapons on the citizens of Syria would be far to high, as Russia would have to know the rest of the world would not let that stand. At some point, the cost would outweigh the gains, and I think that supporting a govt that used chemical weapons on a civilian population would reach that point.

Obviously one should never say never but it's going to take a serious event to materially change Russia's position in the region. I'd offer as evidence of this their ability to date to blink past even the most heinous of governmental atrocities and consistently maintain that the best solution is a negotiated stance that maintains the current power structure.

Furthermore, this entire story reeks of western bullshit to me; the only explicit statements I have ever seen made on the subject by the Syrians themselves were directed at the potential interlopers contemplating invasion. Syria has a very well established chemical weapons program that is geared towards deterring Israeli aggression and in the worst case making someone pay a horrible price for invading them. Virtually all of their agents are real nasties, real persistent and not something you can wait a few days and have it evaporate. If anyone knows this they do and the chances they would poison to the point of requiring international help to cleanup are remote enough that, barring some insanity in their leadership that I have yet to see, I don;t think anyone should lose much sleep over it at the present time.

If you want to lose sleep, consider what could happen when the government loses security of their arsenal in a rapid collapse and how many jihadist groups have contingency plans to retrieve them. One Ounce of VX carries the potential of roughly 3000 casualties with a 100% certainty of horrible death that is rapid in onset and the last thing you'll feel will be your spine crack from convulsions that exceed your best attempts at imagining them. I can carry enough in 5gl pail to kill a million people+, it's the ideal weapon for a terrorist.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Rampage wrote:
Yup and for others too...

Make up your mind Rampage. You blast the US for involvement, and you blast the US for not getting involved.

Pick a dam view and run with it, but blasting the US for BOTH makes you just look like a total fool

Jim wrote:
If you want to lose sleep, consider what could happen when the government loses security of their arsenal in a rapid collapse and how many jihadist groups have contingency plans to retrieve them. One Ounce of VX carries the potential of roughly 3000 casualties with a 100% certainty of horrible death that is rapid in onset and the last thing you'll feel will be your spine crack from convulsions that exceed your best attempts at imagining them. I can carry enough in 5gl pail to kill a million people+, it's the ideal weapon for a terrorist.

This is why, IMO, Russia drew such a firm line on the chemical weapons. Some of the comments I have seen from Russia, in the Russian press, have verged on.. MF'er we dont care what happens, you better not even THINK of using them.

Personally, I would support a call for Russia to go into Syria to secure them.
After all, Russia is facing Islamic extremism itself, so they probably have the same concerns on that note as the West does. And even China for that matter.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

DC: Personally, I would support a call for Russia to go into Syria to secure them."

I'd be real surprised in the rooskies have forgotten their Afghanistan lesson yet, while a pretty good idea, good ideas seldom make for good diplomacy for some puzzling reason.

Ewwwwwww, Ewwwwwww, my words and Spamtard's in the same post, Ewwwwwwwww

*wanders off to dip himself in a vat of Lysol*

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

So it seems that the atrocities are to much even for the Palestinians, which is saying something, given the Palestinians publicly celebrate the indiscriminate slaughter of civilians in Israel, so for the Palestinian leadership to be abandoning the Assad regime, speaks volumes about the atrocities Assad's regime has committed in Syria.

The Fate of Syria is in the Hands of … Palestinians?

For their part, the Palestinians who have been aided and sheltered by Syria—there are some 500,000 in Syria, the majority living in nine refugee camps throughout the country—have responded by paying fealty to the regime. But with an internecine war now raging inside Syria’s borders, the Palestinians appear to be breaking rank. The London-based al-Sharq al-Awsat reports that the PIJ has left Syria for Iran, whileMaan News Agency reports that PIJ leader Ibrahim Shehada recently departed Syria for Gaza.

Indeed, it is already clear that the Syrian conflict has placed Assad's Palestinian clients into an untenable position. It’s hard for Palestinian groups to claim they are fighting for justice when their patron is in the midst of slaughtering its own people—some 18,000 souls and counting—in cold blood. That is why an ever growing number of Palestinians are now working to topple the regime that once supported them.

Once the protests against the Assad regime began in 2011, it was only a matter of time before the Palestinians were going to have to choose sides. The protests and crackdowns have resulted in the deaths of as many as 300 Palestinians. Some 10,000 Palestinians have reportedly been detained. Jihad Makdissi, the spokesman of the Syrian Foreign Ministry, recently described Palestinians in Syria as “guests” and cynically told them to “leave Syria for one of the Arab democracies” if they misbehave.In recent weeks, the violence against Palestinians has spiked. In one incident, Syrian forces bombed a hospital in Yarmouk refugee camp, reportedly because medics were treating the wounded from both sides. This came on the heels of reports that Syrian forces opened fire on demonstrators in Yarmouk, killing four and injuring several others.

But the most well known Palestinian militant group of all, Hamas, has recently parted ways with the regime because of the violence in the country. It was likely not an easy divorce. Hamas has had its headquarters in Syria since the late 1990s, following the group’s expulsion from Jordan. Among other things, the external leadership in Damascus under Khaled Meshal was closely identified with the “armed wing” of Hamas, the Izzedin al-Qassam Brigades.

Aware of its debt to the regime, Hamas quietly stood by Assad in the early months of the uprising. But by February of this year, the external leaders packed their bags for Qatar and Egypt. Gaza-based Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh went as far as to “salute the heroic people of Syria who are striving for freedom, democracy and reform.” Anti-Assad protests, previously unheard of, have recently erupted in the Gaza Strip.

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am
Chard User avatar
The Emperor's Champion
The Emperor's Champion

Jim wrote:
Well, Russia is just toeing the line of all those way-cool treaties they have with US, If they look lukewarm on the subject it carries the potential of being a justification to reopening an arms race that no one wants.

Uh, to late. The Russians have been engaged in replacing or upgrading both their strategic nuclear deterrent and their conventional force. While the numbers of systems being upgraded/replaced aren't anywhere near cold war levels, the specific systems are cause for concern since Russia is the only nation out there with a large enough deterrent force to seriously hurt us.
"Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! Purge the Unclean!" - Black Templars War Cry

PreviousNext

Return to Middle East