Board index Member Boards Music Keith Emerson

Keith Emerson

Moderator: BORG

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:59 pm
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: "They may kill you but they won't eat you"
I had someone drag me to an Emerson, Lake and Palmer concert centuries ago. Advised me that I should drop this free blot of acid to help me to better appreciate the experience. The next thing I can clearly recall was seeing a man seated at a grand piano that rose into the air, rocked back and forth a few times and then proceeded to flip end over end while the man wailed non stop. Then he ran over to a moog array of some kind and just blew my mind. After I sobered up I thought I had imagined it and it took the testimony of several witnesses to convince me my memory was accurate.

Of course I have been totally like his biggest fan ever since...

10 mins of him just farting around on an acoustic Steinway

Youtube

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:47 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

At the risk of earning your eternal hatred, the upside down piano is reminiscent of Tommy Lee's spinning drum cage. I wasn't remotely a hair rock enthusiast, but I scored some free tickets to Motley Crue in '89 and thought why not? That was the only memorable part of the show.

I can't remember for sure but I was probably tripping because I rarely left the house without being off my tree back then.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

That's impressive enough even if it was the Crue, playing a trap set with skill (a leap for Tommy Lee but none the less) requires coordination that I've never been able to master despite years of trying.

Sit in a chair and try to do something different with each appendage all at the same time and if you are lucky enough to manage this then speed it up about 50 times. Dunno about you but I leak spinal fluid when I try.

I endured Tommy Lee trying to find a vid but the ones I could locate were 7 mins of Tommy screaming "Fuck Yeah" and 1 min of effect so I'm not gonna post that.

I was able though to locate a one min one of Keith riding 1000 pounds of concert grand that is pretty damn close to my night in question.

Youtube

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

My mistake in not mentioning that there isn't a vid of Tommy Lee that doesn't involve endless boring baboon calls. That's why I didn't post a vid either.

Now, that "grand piano" is not real. It's still a totally cool effect but it's a prop.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 pm
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

I dunno but then again I was under the weather so my credibility as a witness is tarnished too. I will say he used the exact same prop while stationary for other parts of the show (the ones I can remember anyway)

The 3 secs I spent looking for a reference yielded this

Youtube

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Prog rock...bless their unimpeachable musical integrity. Still, it was an electronic band and the "piano" had electronics rather than hammers and strings. I could be wrong (but I'm not).

Return to Music