Board index Member Boards Music The Fine Art of the Trap

The Fine Art of the Trap

Moderator: BORG

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:05 pm
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: "They may kill you but they won't eat you"
I loves me some great drummer, The problem is, if you want to actually see one, you better learn to love Jazz because that's where they hide almost without exception (Neil Peart of Rush being a notable exception). The Jazz guys actually know all 40 Drum Rudiments and can put them together in ways that won't make you wish the band would come back 65 seconds into their solo.

Sadly the fine art of the trap is a dying art in some respects and almost all of the truly great ones are no longer with us but there are a few left and a few kid's with skills coming along and hopefully they will be able to save this art for my children who will hopefully be bright enough one day to appreciate it

I'm going to start with my favorite one (obviously), I could write 10 pages on Louie Bellson and bore you all senseless but in the interest of keeping your attention he's a pioneer, invented the double bass drum arrangement you see at concerts everyday and, in my humble opinion, the greatest musician of my age.

This is 10 mins. You're saying to yourself right about now "Fuk, I can't take a 10 min drum solo without Valium". Trust me, it's time well spent and it may very well change you. If you don't believe me and simply must cheat do not miss from the 7:20 min mark on.

And kudos to Brendiggg who made me (for good reason) endure Tommy Lee this morning and inspired me to share the real thing with you.

Youtube

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

If I've ever been damned with faint praise, this was it.

Firstly, anyone who doesn't love brush and snare has no soul.

Secondly, it was fascinating the way he alternated his left hand grip throughout.

Thirdly, a couple of minutes in, you see 7 minutes left on the clock and think "how is he going to top what he's already done?" but you know he will and it's a fantastic ride.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: "They may kill you but they won't eat you"
You can't have this conversation without the great Buddy Rich. Buddy didn't believe in a gaudy rig with lots of toys preferring a basic 5 drum set one of which he virtually always ignored, his mastery of rudiments and timings and his blazing speed (see 2:48 single stroke roll).

It was my privilege to see this kat in a small room every year 72 thru 75 and each year my seats got progressively closer to the stage culminating in a ringside seat my last 2 years.

He's even more unbelievable live.

Youtube

it was fascinating the way he alternated his left hand grip throughout.

OK, I'm impressed. Usually drummers are one way or the other, next to noone knows the difference between grips and the ones that know take a cursory initial look to identify "type" and then forget about. Of the many things that made Louie a genius was his array of stroke types and he'd flip his grip to meet the moment. Notice though when Louie wanted speed, he flipped back to military. Usually you can tell what they are by peeping the snare drum, if it tilts towards the tom-tom you've got a military gripper, if level or tilted back to the drummer a matched gripper.

Return to Music