Board index Politics Australia and New Zealand Abolish the states

Abolish the states

Discuss Aussie and Kiwi stuff here

Moderators: Grrrrrrrrrr, Spot of Borg, Kat, BORG, AusPol Managers

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:34 am
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

Back in 2005 while doing my diploma, I was given an assignment wherein had to I chair an important meeting. There was a list of general topics and I chose a rather prosaic one. My teacher, who incidentally is one of the most amazing people I've ever met, almost ordered me to change my topic to a politically related one.

I acquiesced, but carefully chose a topic that was politically neutral: removing the middle tier of government and reassigning responsibilities to either local or federal government, thereby streamlining government services and reducing bureaucratic deadweight.

The "meeting" was fiery, but all "participants" were in general agreement over the cause. I was a little pissed off at the unscripted disagreements which got quite vicious. After all, I was trying demonstrate leadership and these were the very same people (fellow students) I got drunk with every Friday night. Did I learn a lesson? Probably not.

Whatever the case, I somehow blitzed it and when my project was being reviewed, my teacher told me how she was convinced of the cause. I replied that I was surprised at being convinced myself (it was, after all, a whimsical choice of topic and was completely incidental to the project).

Anyway, pardon the rant but elder statesman Bob Hawke said fuck the states.

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 am
Hector User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: Are you my Mummy?
Well I think its a bad idea myself. Without the states the federal government would have far too much power. Worse than the howard days. Then again I havent read your thing.

Hector
“Jews should get the hell out of Palestine. They should go home to Poland, Germany, America and everywhere else.”

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 am
Grandma Arial User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

I can understand your instructor wanting a more controversial subject. Developing leadership with is like honing a blade, something you can't do with soft clay, you need a hard stone.

We have a similar set up here, with a federal government that has increasingly become more distant from state governments (with push for "state rights" from conservative/libertarian groups). Here it was designed that the federal government was the ultimate authority with states given room to function independently with in the confines of federal laws. As states have become more independent the problem has been when states adopt laws that conflict with other states.

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm
Hannibal User avatar
Lurker
Lurker

Slogan: I will never be a friend of Rome.
Brendiggg,

It is good to see you had the experience and found that a safe topic actually invoked some difference of opinion. In terms of leadership skills and their acquisition, I gather you found some insight.

It is a pity you do not allow your insight to extend to a depth of research on topics you think are settled.

You sound intelligent, but I find you lightweight most of the time unable to plunge the depths of certain topics.

If you want to be a leader, then let go of your unbridled stupidity.

If you expanded on your topic I could see what you are talking about. The system now works well, but is inefficient with a lot of duplication. But, without the states, what other problems would be encountered?

Many local governents are notoriously bureaucratic, some are incompetent and some are - or have been - involved in corruption like Liverpool Council where they were stood down by the NSW State Government and an apparatchik installed to manage business in the interim.

If the world was divided into National and Local Governments then we would have emphasised the ethnic ghetto culture now apparent in places like Greenacre in Sydney and about Bankstown. A Local Government dominated by Muslims might see fit to introduce a bit of Sharia to keep themselves happy. What would be the consequences of that?

Any Islamic schools in your area?

A little bit of leadership would ask those questions and seek to resolve them to the benefit of the masses.

God is Great

Hannibal

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

Grandma, I can't see such a concept being given much consideration in America as it's been 150 years since you guys got fratricidal over the matter of state rights and fear of "big government" is still a burning issue to this day. Our histories are vastly different. As a country comparable in size to yours, we only have 7 states and the boundaries are mostly arbitrary 19th century surveyor markings in the desert.

Hector, I understand your fears. I was basically suggesting redistributing governance in both directions. Centralisation and spreading it out simultaneously.

Hannibal, as I stated, the issue was secondary to the project, so I only had to give the appearance of being an authority on the matter. However, I think it's worth discussing, if nothing else. Also, I am an ex-patriot and Bangladesh is about 100km south of me so, yes, there are a few Islamic schools nearby. It's quite striking how rarely I get shot or blown up.

Whatever the case, I was a bit chuffed that one of our elder statesmen tossed out the idea. Not much more.

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:34 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

I think the governments are not interested in the idea (@ least in QLD) because they seem to be getting rid of the local governments and combining them into bigger ones leaving the smaller areas to die.

Spot
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 am
Grandma Arial User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Our histories are very different and it reflects in the differences of our cultures. However hat 150 years you mention, although there has not (yet) been armed rebellion the libertarian/teabagger crowd has been talking recession for a few years now (with a few Governors using it to whip up support). The big change has happened in congress where an influx of ultra conservatives managed to push through legislation that cedes greater discretion on the application of federal law to states. However their hold on congress has weakened this last election cycle even with some rather extreme gerrymandering and questionable voting laws (designed to keep liberal populations away from the polls).

Return to Australia and New Zealand