Rednecks, you so craaaaaazyyy

Discuss American and Canadian stuff here

Moderators: Grandma Arial, BORG

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:02 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

If the kid was 4mns old then they werent watching the movie. They were sleeping in their parents arms i expect. Obviously they didnt trust or couldn't get a babysitter. Not horrible parenting imo.

Spot
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:43 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Slogan: "They may kill you but they won't eat you"
Well, first dunno how long it's been since you went to a digital flick but the earth moves so sleeps unlikely. Little kids that age are just getting to the point where they can see so they're fairly curious and you can scare the shit out of one with a stuffed animal much less that kinda content and you can count on the fact that their little attentions are gonna be focused on the only activity in the room. Baby that age needs at least 14 hours of sleep a day and I've never had one that did less than 16 or so so bouncing them to the theater for a 4 to 5 hour batmanfest by the time you add in travel time and WHOO HOO it's BATMAN time would eat up most of their day if their schedules were even remotely like ours, which they aren't. They eat every 2 to 4 hours depending on kid and mood and kid's that age don't eat popcorn and sodapop. And even if you forget the well being of the kid one squealing every however often under regular circumstances is not exactly comforting to the average adult not so suitably blessed but then scare the shit out of one at regular intervals and imagine having to sit next to that bundle of joy and watch a movie you've waited 2 years to see.

It's not only bad parenting, it's fucking horrible and it's gonna wreck everyone in the room's time unless you drug the kid unconscious so it's friggin selfish too but given that the parent's good time was more important than the well being of their kid that one's sorta obvious.

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:22 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

And in the midst of chaos Heroes arose

"Matt McQuinn’s last living act was to shield his girlfriend from the hail of bullets sprayed by the gunman behind the Aurora, Colo., multiplex massacre. His girlfriend, Samantha Yowler, survived with a gunshot wound to the leg and is fair condition after undergoing surgery."

"Blunk’s girlfriend, Jansen Young, said he was fatally shot after pushing her under a seat to shield her. “Jon just took a bullet for me,” Young, 21, told the Today Show. “He knew and threw me on the ground, and was like, ‘We have to get down and stay down,’” she said. “Every gunshot, I was like, ‘This is it … I’m done for. “He is the guy that would take a bullet for you. He did the right thing all the time,” she told Today. “I know I would not be here today if Jon had not been next to me in that movie theater.”

We all like to think we're capable of similar behavior in such circumstances, chances are though, most of us are kidding ourselves. It's small comfort but some that folks such as these who exemplify the very best in us existed and were counted as we contemplate the events that exemplify us at our very worst.

Linkie

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:07 am
Nodin User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Spot of Borg wrote:
Makes you wonder why the heck he did it. Looks like a lil planning went into it (he had tear gas and a gas mask)
. . . .

Spot

Mad, bad and entirely stupid don't nessecarily all turn up at the same time, unfortunately. He seems to have been upfront which meant he wasn't between people and an exit, which may have reduced things somewhat. Doubtless we'll find out what his malfunction was or was not over the coming months. I have to say, I find it annoying to see his gormless punchable mug staring at me wherever I click.

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:01 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
Brendiggg wrote:
It borders on religious conviction that an armed citizenry is a safe citizenry.

It does keep us "safe", just not from other Americans. It keeps us safe from the American government, and as shown via Japan's POV during WW2, from the governments of other countries as well.

Brendiggg wrote:
I have far more respect for the argument, "we love our guns because fuck you."

Yup, that's pretty much been MY stance on the issue. :cheers:

In large areas of the US, there is no law enforcement within HOURS, so the only thing you have, is yourself, your weapons, and your skills with them.

on a side note: if there had been a few legally armed citizens in the theater, there might have been far fewer deaths.
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

You have Enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life.

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

It does keep us "safe", just not from other Americans. It keeps us safe from the American government, and as shown via Japan's POV during WW2, from the governments of other countries as well.

Yeah right. What happens if someone shoots a pollie?

Spot

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

DCRocks wrote:
It keeps us safe from the American government.

Don't you think it's a little odd to mistrust the system that you so vigorously defend as the world's greatest democracy?

P.S. Your stock responses are predictable. Try something thoughtful and unique.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Nodin wrote:
Spot of Borg wrote:
Makes you wonder why the heck he did it. Looks like a lil planning went into it (he had tear gas and a gas mask)
. . . .

Spot

Mad, bad and entirely stupid don't nessecarily all turn up at the same time, unfortunately. He seems to have been upfront which meant he wasn't between people and an exit, which may have reduced things somewhat. Doubtless we'll find out what his malfunction was or was not over the coming months. I have to say, I find it annoying to see his gormless punchable mug staring at me wherever I click.

Actually the media here went on and on about how his hair was orange and he seemed "dazed" in a court hearing last night. Over and over they harped on how he was "dazed". Obviously he was given something. Meanwhile i guess the media hasnt got anymore info.

Heres an article from stonekettle on it

Spot

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
Brendiggg wrote:
DCRocks wrote:

Don't you think it's a little odd to mistrust the system that you so vigorously defend as the world's greatest democracy

Not at all. Given the history of mankind, distrust of the government is natural and correct, even with the best form mankind has found so far. Even America's founding fathers distrusted the government, hence all the checks and balances built into the original system.

Maybe one day a form of totally trustable government will arise, but in today's world, this is simply not the case.
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

You have Enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:20 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Brendiggg wrote:
DCRocks wrote:

Don't you think it's a little odd to mistrust the system that you so vigorously defend as the world's greatest democracy?

P.S. Your stock responses are predictable. Try something thoughtful and unique.

Well, there's irony afoot in that one. We were born from rebellion whose spirit was alive and well when the constitution was penned and they wanted no impediments to throwing the next guys out if required. Given the next guys and the next system was an unknown at the time this was fairly sensible BUT there is some controversy over the intent of the Amendment ie: whether an armed citizenry or an armed militia was it's intent HOWEVER there is precedent from English law that would support the citizenry interpretation. I tend to favor the citizen interpretation but if I'm wrong it's water under the bridge as the genie is long gone from the bottle.

The irony is that the Spirit of Rebellion (tm) has been dead for so long that now it's devolved into a vogue utterance buy a collection of folks that wouldn't know which end of a rebellion to hold if it had instructions inscribed on it and sorta lacks the heft found in previous generations. Were it alive and well we'd be marching on Washington as I type to set fire to the place brandishing the roughly 270 million weapons that are thought to be in private hands as these cats (our leaders) are idiots and the prospects for this state improving are not terribly good and that would be the most expeditious way to effect change.

So bottom line, it's rhetoric which I'm sure you already knew, now you know why from this guy's perspective.

As for our system itself, it's broken but it's been broken from within by a system of graft the we have allowed to be implemented. This is the lone error our founders made imo in failing to anticipate this. In their defense, this level of moral turpitude was so contrary to their ethics that it most likely didn't dawn on them that citizens of the republic would even be capable of such and that their fellows wouldn't weed them out on the spot when discovered. If corrective measures were applied I believe our system could be once again a model for the rest of the world but until that fine day it's at least interesting to watch.

PreviousNext

Return to America and Canada