Duke
Duke

Slogan: "They may kill you but they won't eat you"

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:02 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

Thing is - you need a few more of those yet in order to convince yanks that guns need restricting.

Spot
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Spot of Borg wrote:
Thing is - you need a few more of those yet in order to convince yanks that guns need restricting.

Spot

Prob is Spot the genie is long gone and you'll never restrict your way to paradise even if I favored such an approach which I don't. I outlined some things here that I thought might be effective but something along those lines are all that I can see that are going to have any impact at all.

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

The madness continues. At least they caught him before he did anything. I'm sure he'll get many defenders saying "hey, he was just taking precautions".

Jim wrote:
I outlined some things here that I thought might be effective but something along those lines are all that I can see that are going to have any impact at all.

It probably doesn't need saying that any attempt to implement (or even discuss) reasonable, balanced measures to curb excessive gun violence will be shouted down as the first step in a campaign to disarm the public. And Obama.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:31 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

The madness continues. At least they caught him before he did anything. I'm sure he'll get many defenders saying "hey, he was just taking precautions".

Well, not sure I'd defend him as wtf does one need all that stuff to protect even an entire theater full of folks but I do sorta catch a whiff of the benign weirdo that I'm positively delighted doesn't live next door to me in this instance too.

I had a very strange uncle, great guy but really really strange, that would have looked you in the face a made a similar statement and he would have been sincere when he did it. The cache of weapons I discovered at his home when he died would have made this chap look like a rank amateur by comparison and while I knew he was harmless I can well imagine someone from the outside looking would have thought too.

The only good thing that has come from this epidemic of idiots crawling from the woodwork is that the media has totally forgotten about the incident I started this thread about as we lacked the fatalities required to keep up with the rest of the country's total grooviness.

Alabama sort of dodged a bullet if you'll please pardon the pun...

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:33 am
Spot of Borg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: You may be Assimilated

Geez. they may not ALL get on the news either. Just the ones the media thinks they can use.

Spot
Image . . "Cry MEOW! And eat the butterflies of war!"

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 am
Brendiggg User avatar
The Borg
The Borg

Slogan: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (unless you are a fly)

Spot of Borg wrote:
Geez. they may not ALL get on the news either. Just the ones the media thinks they can use.

But of course. It has been pointed out more than once that, while America was shocked at the Batman massacre, there are two and a half times that many homicides happening across the nation every day.

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 am
DCRocks User avatar
Grand Duke
Grand Duke

Slogan: All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
Brendiggg wrote:
Spot of Borg wrote:

But of course. It has been pointed out more than once that, while America was shocked at the Batman massacre, there are two and a half times that many homicides happening across the nation every day.

Yah, we live in the Wild, Wild, West, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

There is a reason the US Supreme Court ruled the right to bare arms, is a RIGHT specifically granted to each American (in non lawyer speak)

As to that #, think you got that about right Bren, the number for gun related deaths is at least 31 a day for 2009
For 2009:

All homicides - Number of deaths: 16,799
Deaths per 100,000 population: 5.5

Firearm homicides - Number of deaths: 11,493
Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.7

And some interesting facts..

About cause of death classification:

The underlying cause-of-death is defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as "the disease or injury which initiated the train of events leading directly to death, or the circumstances of the accident or violence which produced the fatal injury."

For a 10 yr period 1999-2009

X74 (Intentional self-harm by other and unspecified firearm discharge) - 116,993
V89.2 (Person injured in unspecified motor-vehicle accident, traffic) - 113,516
X95 (Assault by other and unspecified firearm discharge) - 110,757
W19 (Unspecified fall) - 99,901
X44 (Accidental poisoning by and exposure to other and unspecified drugs, medicaments and biological substances) - 99,131
R54 (Senility) - 50,469

SOURCE: CDC site lets you get as specific as you want: http://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html
“If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.”

You have Enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something in your life.

Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:08 am
Jim User avatar
Duke
Duke

Previous

Return to America and Canada